Being a parent can be a maze. While my husband has a routine that
involves little time with the kids until he returns from work in the
later afternoon or early evening, it feels like everyday is a new
adventure for me. One kid has dance twice a week plus one half-day from
school on Wednesday. Another kid plays baseball twice a week, has
practice on a third day, and is considering a run for the student
council. The baby of the family likes to finger paint, nap, and hang
out with other infants. It is kind of like a three-ring circus
navigating all of their schedules. I remember when I had a life of my
own.
I am not complaining about everything that goes into making sure everybody in the house is fed, dressed, and at his or her proper destinations on time. I signed up for this life and honestly it is incredibly rewarding to see your kids grow up. It has gotten a lot easier over time, being organized and knowing who goes where when. What frequently trips me up is the appointments that are not on our daily schedule, but with three kids, are constantly present.
The kids need to visit the doctor, dentist, and various other specialists on a regular basis. While I can depend on a dance lesson starting on time at 4pm and ending at 5pm, and I know a baseball game takes roughly two and a half hours, seeing medical professionals always seems to require a wait.
Recently our daughter had a doctor appointment at 5:15pm. This was efficient since dance got over at 5pm. We were at the doctor's office at 5:10pm. However, she didn't get called back until 5:50pm, and that made for a late dinner, kids going to bed a half hour later than normal, and grumpy children who didn't get enough sleep the next morning.
Our dentist tends to be on time. Not only that, but the dentist can see all three kids in one appointment. If you want to keep your schedule efficient and not run to the same place over and over again, three dentist appointments all at once is the jackpot. I have read the same magazines at that office so many times, but I smile because he stays on schedule and we knock out three birds with one stone.
I am not complaining about everything that goes into making sure everybody in the house is fed, dressed, and at his or her proper destinations on time. I signed up for this life and honestly it is incredibly rewarding to see your kids grow up. It has gotten a lot easier over time, being organized and knowing who goes where when. What frequently trips me up is the appointments that are not on our daily schedule, but with three kids, are constantly present.
The kids need to visit the doctor, dentist, and various other specialists on a regular basis. While I can depend on a dance lesson starting on time at 4pm and ending at 5pm, and I know a baseball game takes roughly two and a half hours, seeing medical professionals always seems to require a wait.
Recently our daughter had a doctor appointment at 5:15pm. This was efficient since dance got over at 5pm. We were at the doctor's office at 5:10pm. However, she didn't get called back until 5:50pm, and that made for a late dinner, kids going to bed a half hour later than normal, and grumpy children who didn't get enough sleep the next morning.
Our dentist tends to be on time. Not only that, but the dentist can see all three kids in one appointment. If you want to keep your schedule efficient and not run to the same place over and over again, three dentist appointments all at once is the jackpot. I have read the same magazines at that office so many times, but I smile because he stays on schedule and we knock out three birds with one stone.